Sunday, June 16, 2013

You Meet the Nicest People

My word this week has been a long one, it's seems like two since I was sat here updating.

The weather has been all over the place this week but mainly rainy. Judging by peoples moods the weather is really getting them down and everyone is ready for a good spell ot nice weather. Thankfully the rainy cluttered off (most likely over to England) in time for the weekend.

Nancy, Rachael and I went out on Saturday to see what we could find in the way of photographic subjects. I particularly wanted to pay a visit to Hantsport Railway Station which is not long in service and from an article I had read a bit overgrown, it proved to be a very good location and we spent a long time pottering about there.

Afterwards we headed along the Evangeline trail to see what else we could find, I spotted an abandoned property on the side of the road which we promptly investigated, it was locked, but the road/driveway made us think there was more to find, a neighbour told us to go ahead and didn't think the owner would mind. A few yards down we found some classic old trucks which we were overjoyed to photograph, having been there for a few minutes a truck pulled up with the owner in it. What a lovely man Raye, he didn't mind us being there at all and even went off to open up the old house for us. He said when we were finished in the house to come down to the end of the road and see the lighthouse.

The lighthouse in question turned out to be what was originally the Horton Head Lighthouse. The original lighthouse was demolished and burned on beach, but Raye has rebuilt a new one true in shape, to the original, but this one has all mod cons and is actually his cottage. I want to live in it.
He showed us round, it's really is a beautiful spot with a fantastic view across the water.

This man is a seriously talented craftsman in my book, when we interrupted him he was busy building a bandstand, it looks stunning even though it wasn't finished and it transpired it was for an event he was holding on the property in 2 weeks time, he has an English folk duo coming to play, Instantly I wanted to attend, and luckily he had some tickets left (there are only 30 for sale), so Rob, Rachael and I will be heading back there at the beginning of July for an initimate eveing of song...and I cannot wait.

Reluctantly we left Raye's place and headed on to Grand Pre. it's that time of year once again when my favourite art installation goes up. (You remember the doors!) The artist Nicole contacted me earlier in the week to tell me the new one was up...But it wasn't doors....What could it be, well it pictured below and is called 'Mercury Rising'. They took an old Ford Mercury, cut it up, and repainted it a vibrant yellow and then reassembled some of the parts and mounted them on a mirrored plinth to create the illusion of it floating. I love it personally, but I know many people will miss the doors (myself included as it's an end of superb series). At long last I finally got to meet Nicole, Since 2010 I have met her partner, her daughter, even the cat, but she has never been in. It was great to finally catch up with her. She is as much a fan of my work as I am of hers, and I have given her my images of her art for various projects. When she is not creating unusual art pieces she is a chocolatier, and she presented me with a beautiful box of truffles she made for me. She also invited Robert and I to come for dinner one evening which will be very nice as I didn't much time with her as the family had to rush off to attend a prior engagement.

So all in all a fab day, and in Nove Scotia you really do meet the nicest people on your travels. Below are a selection of images taken yesterday.

Spare Parts & Broken Hearts

Mercury Rising

Broken




Horton Lighthouse...AKA The Cottage

The Window Seat








0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ's Nova Scotia Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template