Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Week Off

Finally, I took a week off work this week and I couldn't have picked a better week weather wise, it's been a scorcher. Most days it has been about 28-30 degrees. The humidity has been a killer.

Last weekend We didn't really do too much as Rob's back was still bothering him, but we took a little drive out round Sambro way as the weather was nice. His back is much better now than it was and he has had a few trips to physio to help him back into shape.

Monday Nancy and I went to the lake for a swim and to catch a few rays, the water was pretty much the perfect temperture and a welcome relief from the heat. Later in the day around 6.30 pm we headed off to meet Cheryl, Deb, Suzanne and Angie at the beach. Deb had arranged a photo shoot with a local ballerina. Dressed up in her training tutu and ballet pumps she made some stunning shapes on the beach for us. The only downer was the bugs that suddenly came to life at sundown and nearly drove us all mad.

Tuesday I did pretty much nothing, just sorted out some bits at home and packed up some clothes for the little trip Nancy and I had planned for Wednesday through Friday. We headed off very early on Wednesday to Cape Breton, stopping many times on route for photo ops. We also stopped in at her sisters house in Antigonish, it was nice to finally meet her and her husband as I had heard so much about them and have interacted with them through flickr. Another really lovely place we stopped at was Port Hood Beach. We couldn't help but get knee deep in the water, it felt so good. After I had my shoes back on thankfully I spotted several jellyfish along the beach and in the water, apparently they are quite common there...Needless to say I did not go back in the water.

We finally got to our destination, The Trailsman Motel just outside of Baddeck at around 6pm, all I could think of was jumping in the pool, which I did pretty swiftly. A long day with the sun on my head and face in the convertible had left me somewhat hot and bothered. Before getting in the pool though I took a comedy spill out of the motel doorway, slipped on the steps, crashed down on my bum and finally rolled to a halt on my dodgy knee. All Nancy heard was some kind of weird wailing from inside. She ventured out to see me sprawled all over the place, in pain but laughing so hard at my own stupidity. She couldn't contain herself laughing either. It's one of those falls, that I would have loved to have seen rather than do. (My friend Sylvie would be so proud of me as she always appreciates a good fall).

Anyway after the swim, we quickly got changed and headed down to the water front to photograph the island lighthouse as the sun was setting. Baddeck sure is a pretty place. Rob and I had stayed there on our travels before we moved across, but it's been a good few years since I have seen the place. The only down side is the fact that everywhere closes up really early, so we were too late to get dinner in any of the restaurants, the only place that stays open is Joe's Pizza. They definitely have the right idea...I mean honestly it's Summer, it's a tourist destination and everywhere closes at either 8 pm or 9 pm...Are they crazy? Do they not want to make money? Joe's pizza was excellent by the way, so if you are ever passing through give it a whirl.

Thursday, we took forever to get our act together in the morning, But finally we headed off to Louisbourg for the day. We decided to take the Marconi route...Top tip, don't bother with that route if you are traveling around Cape Breton, it was seriously dull. Louisbourg however, was charming and just as I remembered it from a previous visit. It is a totally reconstructed fortress, constructed originally in 1713 by the French. There are people in character everywhere you turn, we watched a weapons display, a wedding and of course the firing of the canon. The temperature is always cooler there, so a welcome breeze surrounded us the whole time.

After the Fort we headed over to the Louisbourg Lighthouse. Always a favourite of mine and very similar in shape to Peggy's Cove. Finally we headed back to Baddeck...Once more too late for dinner so we enjoyed a second night in Joe's Pizza.

If it was possible we were even worse on Friday getting our act together, but finally we checked out and were on our way to The Highand Village Museum. A real treat, except for the bloody big hill I had to walk up in the blistering heat. Totally a must see if you are ever in this region. The fact that it is on a bloody big hill makes it all the more picturesque. The tour stars at the Black House, and works it's way through the different styles of homes and celtic living throughout the years. We spent hours there.

Finally we headed home and got back at around 8pm on Friday night. I was shattered and pretty sunburned. We didn't have the top up on the car at all the whole time, it was wonderful out on the road and feeling the wind in my fluffy hair.

I am writing this entry up early as tomorrow is my last day of freedom and I fully intend to spend it at the lake. Here are some photos from my week off....There will be more!
                                                                                                                                                                                 
Herring Cove, taken last Sunday on the way back from Sambro









Beach Ballet at Rainbow Haven Beach




My ride for the past few days...Very cool...Not so cool getting
in and out of it :o)

The gorgeous colours of Nova Scotia! We had some amazing
skies whilst away

The Island Lighthouse at Baddeck

One of the many pretty scenes at Louisbourg Fortress

Louisbourg Lighthouse

The Highland Village Museum at Iona Cape Breton




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ's Nova Scotia Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template