Saturday, February 11, 2012

Canadian 44!

Yes it's that time of year again when I turn another year older! I am very happy to report that on Friday February 10th the weather was stunning. The sun came out for me and the it was almost spring-like, people around me were even talking of firing up the BBQ's for the first one of the year...Yes slightly odd if you are Brit reading this in February, but out here completely normal.

I digress, let's start off the weeks news with last Sunday, Cheryl persuaded me to go out and photograph the Eagle Watch, something you may remember Robert and I attended last year. I really didn't have any plans to go this time around, but she convinced me get 95 layers of clothes on and make the trek to the valley. I am so glad I went. People have been turning up in the droves for a few weekends prior to last Sunday to catch glimpses of them, but as the temperatures have been fairly mild they weren't feeding and stayed largely in the trees, but last weekend it was really cold and snowing, we didn't have to wait long at all before they were swooping out of the trees and feeding on the chickens left out for them, it was fantastic to watch.

After seeing the Eagles, we headed to Halls Harbour for a look around, Cheryl had found some really quaint little gingerbread holiday homes there before and we went off to find them. They were so cute and fairytale-like, in Summer I imagine they are even better as they are situated just off the beach.

Apart from the flurries last Sunday we have had a snow free week which was lovely I must say.

On Friday at work I was surprised and pleased when they ordered in Pizza for my birthday and not only that they presented me with a huge ice cream and brownie birthday cake from Dairy Queen...Very unexpected and thoughtful, especially as in the other branch you were lucky if you got a card. My old work pals over in Halifax phoned me up throughout the day wishing me a happy birthday, nice to know I haven't been forgotten over there.

Saturday Rob and I went shopping and I bought a couple of new items for my wardrobe, a new top, some trousers, a cardigan plus some more mitten type gloves as my old Monsoon ones have literally fallen apart and finally some snow trousers....yes I know not the sexiest things I have ever bought, they are huge and fit over my normal trousers they are lined and padded, so you can just imagine how utterly huge I look in them...Not a good look, but they will come in so useful!

Saturday evening we celebrated my birthday with friends at Fans Chinese Restaurant...the best Chinese food you will ever eat! It was a great evening and we had a lot of fun.

In other news, the Metro Transit strike continues, talks broke down and they are not scheduled to negotiate again until March. Every day on my way to and from work I pass the picket line, and they all wave at me, I wave back, not really sure why they are waving but I go with the flow on it. Must be cold out there day in, day out, I just hope they get things sorted soon so all these extra bad drivers can put their cars away again and stop snarling up the traffic.

Big thanks to all of you that sent cards, presents and well wishes this week, they were all much appreciated.

Click on any image to view larger


The Eagles have Landed


The Dive Bomber


You gotta love that colourful stonework!


Who lives in a house like this?...Hansel and Gretal?


The Birthday Bash, left ro right: Suzanne, Nancy, Melissa
Rob, Me, Barb, Kevin, Cheryl

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ's Nova Scotia Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template