Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mixed Fortunes

Sunday again and time for a weekly update. It's been a funny week all in all. Not much to report socially (thank goodness) as I am still getting over the dreaded cold and haven't had much energy. The camera club met for the first time since before Christmas and Rob and I went along. As usual a crowd of us headed over to Tim's afterwards and who should be in there (not that I knew who it was) but the Mayor of Halifax, Peter Kelly just in there having a coffee with one of his advisers. One of the members encouraged him to come and get his photo taken with us collectively. Which he was more than happy to do. After he had finished I cheekily asked if I could get my photo taken with him for my blog, he said of course and here he is. The photo is courtesy of Nancy who kindly stepped up to the plate for the picture taking. I have to say having chatted with him he seems like a very nice man, definitely a people person with a great community spirit.

I am not sure if I have mentioned or not, but we are only a couple of weeks away now from the Canada Games which is being held this year in Halifax and the surrounding area. The Canada games are much like the Olympics in terms of events. There are plenty of winter sports on the agenda including speed skating, and skiing. The skiing events will be held at Martock and Wentworth, all within an hour of here. If some of the events fall on the weekend we are hoping to get out and see some of them. A couple of the camera club members have bee selected as official photographers for the event which is quite an achievement. On the commons downtown a huge outdoor skating circuit called the oval has been created for some of the skating. Until the games being the oval is open to the public for free skating, there are free skates and helmets too. It has proved really popular and now there is talk of it becoming a permanent fixture.

On Thursday Rob found out from Metro Burners that they are willing to start paying him for the work he does there. They haven't decided hi rate yet, but it is good news and a step in the right direction. That's the good news...On the flip side on Friday UHaul reduced his hours by a day. Total bummer. But it does mean he could do an extra day at Metro Burners...Talk about mixed fortunes.

Today we have done nothing. It has been snowing all day. That's right, this is the first substantial snowfall we have seen so far. They are pretty good here at clearing the roads and paths, the rule of thumb is generally allow up to 12 hours after the snow has stopped for major roads, parking lots and sidewalks to be cleared. Other roads take a little longer. Not sure what I will do tomorrow about work, I may get the bus instead of driving in.

On the TV front, I have to say I am getting reality withdrawal! Everything I was watching all finished at the same time. Thank goodness Dancing on Ice starts again this weekend. On the plus side I have been addicted to Netflix and have been glued to the series Mad Men. I don't know if any of you watch it or not, but is great. Intelligent and classy with amazing attention to detail when it comes to clothes and props. and I have worked through series one and two and have just started series three. It's set in the 60's about Ad men on Madison Avenue. I know it was on in the UK but I never watched it then.

Mayor Peter Kelly Supports the Oval (click to view large)


Our Dustbins earlier today

Our parking area, haven't checked out our car yet!


Even the bird food has snow on it...Our back yard

1 comments:

Cowgirl on January 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM said...

Well, we in BC have been getting nothing but snow,snow and more snow. It is a lovely winter wonderland. LOVE IT !

Cheers.

Post a Comment

 

AJ's Nova Scotia Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template