Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Seed was Sown…

Way back in 1992 my father and I took a trip to visit family friends in Toronto. It was the first time I had crossed the Atlantic or seen our friends since I was a little girl. Even though the weather was freezing, as it was February, we received a warm welcome and were shown around the sights. As well as the city itself we also went to Niagara, which at that time of year is truly spectacular. After a brief stay I was hooked and all I could think of was getting back there and staying there.

Whilst cleaning out the loft recently I found a copy of the original enquiry letter I sent to Canada House asking how I should go about emigrating, that letter was dated 1992. Of course at the time I had a low paid job, I was living at home with my dad and pretty much zero chance of making it through the application process.

Dad and I returned again that summer on a whistle stop tour of the USA, starting and ending with our friends in Toronto.

The following year in 1993, Robert and I went over and visited with our friends again, by this time they were probably sick of the sight of us!

And then life settled down, and my dreams faded somewhat, but never once did they disappear. I think if you really know me, you will know that once I have an idea I very rarely let it go, and will do my utmost to see it through.

Unbeknownst to me many years back before we had met, Robert had also entertained the thought of heading overseas to Canada. His Mum had visited the country and encouraged his idea at the time, again, circumstances changed for him and he remained in the UK.


Dad and I at Niagara, 1992

The American Falls, Niagara 1992

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ's Nova Scotia Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template